What are the alternatives to using IVF?
Since IVF is not the first line treatment for infertility, there are other available options. Some of these options include:
- hormonal therapy - sometimes it is a hormonal imbalance that is preventing conception, and correction of this imbalance can result in successful pregnancy
- surgical intervention - if structural problems, such as blocked fallopian tubes or blockage of sperm ducts, are contributing to infertility, repair of these reproductive parts can successfully promote conception
- treatment of external causes - if acquired infection, radiation treatment for cancer or other externally generated cause of infertility is present, correction of these causes can aid in correcting infertility
- alleviation of medical conditions - cysts on the ovaries or testes, diabetes, pituitary tumor or other medical conditions can contribute to infertility and, when corrected, the result is a successful pregnancy and delivery
- counselling or therapy - if emotional factors are contributing to infertility, such as fear of failure, depression or anxiety resulting in erectile dysfunction or painful intercourse, counselling or other psychotherapy can help to relieve these symptoms, and promote sexual function and fertility
- other assistive reproductive technologies - intrauterine or intrafallopian insemination involve placement of sperm directly into the uterus or fallopian tubes during ovulation.
There are a multitude of causes of infertility and a corresponding number of treatment options, many of which are readily available, inexpensive and effective.
Infertility Frequently Asked Questions
Why would someone want to get a vasectomy?
Why did my wife get pregnant after my vasectomy?
What are the risks of getting a vasectomy?
What are the risks of reversing a vasectomy?
Are there any alternatives to vasectomy?
How much does a vasectomy and a reversal cost?
What should I know about reversing my vasectomy?
What is a vasectomy and how is it done?
Why do I feel like I am grieving over my infertility?
What does ovulation have to do with infertility?
What causes a "period?"
What is BBT and how will it help my infertility?
What is endometriosis?
Does the position of my uterus affect my ability to get pregnant?
How does my thyroid dysfunction relate to infertility?
What are the hormones involved with fertility and what do they do?
How does stress impact fertility?
What are the main causes of female infertility?
What causes male infertiliy
What is impotence and what causes it?
What kinds of structural problems can cause male infertility?
What role do hormones play in male fertility?
What role does sperm motility problems have in male infertility?
What kinds of testicular problems can contribute to infertility?
What causes problems with sperm transport?
What is hemachromatosis?
Why would stress contribute to infertility?
How is male infertility treated?
What is the definition of infertility?
What causes infertility?
Why do people questions couples who don't have children?
Why do I feel inadequate because I have fertility problems?
How are sperm and eggs produced?
How does the structure of my reproductive organs impact fertility?
What are some external causes of infertility?
How do hormones impact infertility?
What is involved with surrogacy?
What is In Vitro Fertilization and what is involved with the process?
What are "fertility drugs" and what do they do?
How would one go about Egg Donation?
What is In Utero Fertilization and how is it done?
What are some alternative therapies for treating infertility?
What can be done to treat infertility caused by structural problems?
Are there surgical options available to treat my infertility?
What exactly is a fertility clinic?
What things should I consider when thinking about infertility treatment?
What is involved in sperm donation?
What is a Reproductive Endocrinologist?
Why does someone choose tubal ligation?
What is post tubal ligation syndrome?
How is a tubal ligation performed?
What should I consider when thinking about a tubal reversal?
What alteratives do I have besides tubal ligation for long-term birth control?
What are the risks of having a tubal and a tubal reversal?
What are the risks related to tubal ligation reversal?
Why might someone get pregnant after a tubal ligation?
What is the origin of Artificial Insemination?
How is donor sperm used in artificial insemination?
When would a surrogate be used with artificial insemination?
What are the laws governing sperm and egg donation?
What are the risks in artificial insemination?
What are my chances of success using artificial insemination?
What is "artificial insemination?"
What is the process for becoming a sperm donor?
How do I go about getting IVF insurance?
Can I use personal loans to pay for IVF?
How much does IVF cost?
How can I finance IVF?
What are third party loans in terms of financing IVF?
Will my insurance cover IVF?
What is "shared risk" in terms of IVF?
Are public funds used for IVF financing?
What is the role of Medical Counseling in fertility treatment?
How can a Financial Counselor help with fertility treatment?
What kinds of infertility counseling are available?
How does Psychological Counseling help during fertility treatment?
How does one go about choosing an Infertility Center?
Where can I get information and about infertility?
How do I go about finding a Fertility Specialist?
Where can I get more information about infertility?
Can I become an egg donor?
What are the legal ramifications of egg donation?
What are the risks and potential complications of egg donation?
What role do fertility drugs play in egg donation?
What role does egg donation play in in vitro fertilization?
What is process for being a donated egg recipient?
What should I look for in an Egg Donation Center?
What is the process of egg donation?
What are the potential risks and complications of IVF?
What is in vitro fertilization?
What are the alternatives to using IVF?
What are the steps involved with in vitro fertilization?
When would IVF be used to treat infertility?
How much does in vitro fertilization cost?
What kinds of fertility drugs are used during IVF?
What are some of the moral and ethical dilemmas associated with IVF?